Mossley 2-0 Prescot Cables

Unsurprisingly Brian Richardson headed into the game at Seel Park with the same XI which had comprehensively inflicted Atherton Collieries’ first defeat of the season in midweek, Harry Cain and Louis Coyne who missed the Colls game through injury and suspension respectively where back on the substitutes bench. The hosts had also started the league campaign solidly with just one defeat but came into the game on the back of a surprising FA Cup exit to North West Counties outfit 1874 Northwich.

In difficult conditions and kicking uphill it was Cables who started the game the brightest with Jamie McLellan clearing a Jordan Southworth effort off the line in the 7th minute, three minutes later, the giant defender McLellan rattled a header off angle of post and bar from a set piece as Mossley threatened for the first time.

As the rain dissipated it was the hosts who took the lead in the 25th minute, centre forward Liam Ellis breaking the offside trap before rounding Marcus Burgess in the Cables goal and guiding the ball home from a difficult angle sending Mossley into the half time interval with a slender lead.

It was the hosts that started the second half the stronger too, with Ellis once more going close drilling narrowly wide. A plethora of yellow cards followed as Mossley continued to frustrate Cables with an excellent defensive display, Jordan Wynne, notably, was energetic and industrious in the Cables midfield but to little avail.

Prescot’s first change was to introduce Cain from the bench and he was having an impact, perhaps unlucky to have a penalty appeal waved away when challenged in the area, Cain also forced a smart save from the host goalkeeper Ollie Martin with an acrobatic bicycle kick.

In the 81st minute, shortly after Andy Scarisbrick had cleared a header from a corner off the line, Mossley doubled the lead and effectively ended the game, it was Liam Ellis once more pouncing on a loose ball following a save from Burgess to tap in from close range.

Soon after, Burgess was called into action again to deny Mossley substitute Jamie Matthews with a flying save before a late rally from the visitors. On 88 minutes James McCulloch had the ball in the net only to find an offside flag depriving the skipper of his first goal of the season and in stoppage time Martin was off his line smartly to deny substitute Tunde Olowabi and preserve his clean sheet.

The Mossley fixture has not been kind to Prescot Cables over the years and so it proved again, Cables head to Radcliffe next followed by back to back home games against Brighouse Town & Trafford.

MOSSLEY: Martin, Henson, Quansah, Ali, Dean, McLellan, Harrison, Taylor (Howell), Ellis (Matthews), Tuohy (Bove), Duffy – subs not used Suleiman, McLoughlin

PRESCOT CABLES: Burgess, Scarisbrick, Fernandes, McCulloch, Herbert, Conte (Burton), Faux (Cain), Wynne, Marie, Dean, Southworth (Olowabi) – subs not used Burn, Coyne

Referee: A.Bennett             Attendance: 185

Related posts