Prescot Cables 1-4 Bamber Bridge

Integro League Cup, First Round

Dan Burn and Josh Klein-Davies were handed their first starts for Prescot Cables in a much changed but strong starting line-up against the League Leaders and League Cup holders Bamber Bridge, Klein-Davies’ was rewarded for his tireless display up top with a goal, though the visitors ran out comfortable winners in the end.

Lloyd Dean returned to the starting line up and took the captains armband in the absence of James McCulloch, Brian Richardson also handed starts to Alan Burton, Reece McNally and Andy Scarisbrick.

It was largely defences on top until the the 30th minute when Reece McNally was adjudged to have body-checked Daniel Mooney and the visitors where awarded a penalty kick, Cables left frustrated with the award but it wasn’t the first major decision that would go against the hosts on the night. Much travelled Jamie Milligan confidently despatched the penalty into the bottom left hand corner.

Moments after the restart Bamber Bridge struck again, left back Adam Dodd playing a one-two with Alistair Waddecar before finishing emphatically leaving former Bamber Bridge keeper Marcus Burgess no chance and sending the visitors in at the break with a 2-0 advantage.

Cables started the second half strongly and their early pressure paid off on 51 minutes when Josh Klein-Davies latched onto Lloyd Dean’s wonderful through ball to finish low into the bottom corner and half the deficit. Within 60 seconds of the goal joy was to turn to despair for Prescot Cables, after a coming together in the penalty area the referee deemed that Harry Cain had dived, a decision which astonished many on lookers, as Cain had already been cautioned on the stroke of half time a second yellow card meant that Cables would have to see through the final 38 minutes with ten men.

Despite the adversity Cables continued to press and came close to an equaliser on a number of occasions, though Bamber Bridge always looked dangerous on the break, and having squandered a great opportunity moments before the visitors duly scored their third on 70 mins, Brad Carsley with a clinical finish from just inside the box.

The pattern remained throughout the duration of the game with Burgess staying big to deny Bamber Bridge in two one-on-one situations before substitute James Boyd finally completed the scoring for the visitors from close range on 88 mins.

Prescot Cables return to action this Saturday afternoon, 21st October hosting Clitheroe in the league, whilst next week cables visit Bootle in the Liverpool Senior Cup Tuesday 24th before a home fixture with Stalybridge Celtic in the FA Trophy the following Saturday 28th October.

PRESCOT CABLES: Burgess, Fernandes, McNally (Wynne), Coyne, Herbert, Scarisbrick (Olowabi), Burn (Faux), Burton, Klein-Davies, Dean, Cain : Unused Subs – Conte, Southworth

BAMBER BRIDGE: Rigby, Vasey, Dodd, Baines, Mahoney, Potts, Waddecar, Forbes (Linney), Carsley, Milligan Dudley), Mooney (Boyd) : Unused Subs – Doughty, Marlow

Referee: J.Nield                   Attendance: 165

Related posts