Kendal Town 1-3 Prescot Cables

Lloyd Dean

It was another great day on the road for Prescot Cables who had to remain patient before their footballing style won through against Kendal’s physical approach to the game.

Ben Barnes returned in goal after injury, Joe Herbert replaced the suspended Louis Coyne, there were starts for Jordan Southworth & Harry Cain on the flanks with Chris Almond moving up top to spearhead the attack with Josh Klein-Davies rested and taking his place on the substitutes bench though he was still to make his mark on the fixture later in the afternoon.

There were also places on the substitutes bench for recent acquisitions from Marine, Matthew Hamilton & the returning James Edgar, the latter would make a cameo appearance late in the second half.

After a difficult stop start to the game with little cohesion Cables eventually began to get a foot hold as the half wore on taking the lead in on 40 mins, a Harry Cain mazy run and shot wasn’t held by the keeper and Lloyd Dean pounced to strike the rebound into the top corner, due reward for Dean who minutes earlier had seen a bullet header at the near post from a corner rebound off the woodwork.

Kicking down the significant slope second half Cables started very strongly, Almond striking the post early in proceedings before seeing another effort cleared off the line, Almond looked certain to score after he had broken clear and rounded the keeper only to see a great recovery from the home defender to get back and stop the goal bound effort.

Kendal’s chances of getting anything out of the game were significantly reduced on 75 minutes, substitute Paul Dawson, only on the field for around 60 seconds, reacted angrily towards Lloyd Dean, appearing to strike the Cables forward in the face and was duly dismissed by referee Craig Buxton. Within a minute of the game recommencing Jordan Southworth doubled the Cables’ lead with a close-range finish at the far post from a left-wing cross.

On 87 minutes the hosts with ten men halved the deficit with a goal on the break from Rick Seear who fired low across Ben Barnes and into the far corner leaving the Cables’ keeper with no chance.

Victory was confirmed in the third minute of stoppage time through substitute Josh Klein-Davies who collected the ball just inside the Kendal penalty area, showed great close control before firing home emphatically.

The victory moved Prescot Cables up 2nd in the league with Bamber Bridge’s fixture at Glossop falling to the weather. There now follows a period of three successive home fixtures for Cables’, Bootle visit in the Liverpool Senior Cup this coming Tuesday 5th December, before league fixtures versus Droylsden on Tuesday 12th December and Hyde Utd on Saturday 16th December.

KENDAL TOWN: Bacon, Aspin, Thomas, Penswick, Davis, Alexander, McGahon (Dawson), McDonald, Seear, Bowman, Gaul (Clarke) – sub not used Gudgeon

PRESCOT CABLES: Barnes, Fernandes, McNally (Edgar), McCulloch, Herbert, Conte, Southworth, Wynne, Almond (Klein-Davies), Dean (Fishwick), Cain  – subs not used Burn, Hamilton

Referee: Mr C.Buxton                         Attendance: 109

Related posts