Prescot Cables 5-0 Bootle

Liverpool Senior Cup, First Round

Prescot Cables overcame a spirited young Bootle side to ease into the Quarter Finals of the Liverpool Senior Cup and set up a home tie with Everton U23s managed by David Unsworth who recently spent a month in charge of the Premier League outfit in a Caretaker Manager capacity.

Both squads where significantly weakened for the twice postponed tie as the Managers had to unpick the complexities of eligibility for the First Round of this competition, though it did afford the chance of involvement with the first team for several youngsters from both clubs.

For Prescot Cables there was a competitive debut in goal for Jack Morton, who had featured in a pre-season friendly vs Runcorn Linnets in July, Morton acquitted himself very well and will be delighted to have kept a clean sheet against a Bootle side which is usually free-scoring. Matthew Kewn and Dominic Murphy, regulars in the U17s side, also tasted first team action for the first time from the bench.

Cables took the lead on 13 minutes, Jordan Southworth scoring from close range. Southworth has now found the net in his last four competitive starts and his goal proved the difference at half time though Bootle will feel unlucky to have been trailing at the break, Ryan Cox having had the ball in the net but was called up for offside, and Matthew Coughlin who caused many problems with his direct running from right back going particularly close.

Five minutes into the second half Jordan Wynne produced the goal of the game, firing accurately into the top corner from range and Lloyd Dean had added a third from outside the area before Wynne finished off a great move involving Josef Faux, Dean & Josh Klein-Davies to cap off his man of the match performance on 73 minutes and make it 4-0.

Klein Davies was forced off late on with a nasty gash under his knee, sustained in a clumsy challenge from Buck’s centre back Joel Powell, Powell was spoken to by the referee following the incident and can consider himself very lucky not to have seen red after picking up an earlier yellow card for a similarly robust challenge on Klein-Davies.

The ten men of Cables found one last goal in stoppage time with debutant Murphy finishing from close range.

As yet no date has been agreed for the Quarter Final at home to Everton and this will be communicated at the soonest opportunity, next up for Cables’ are back to back home fixtures in the league, Droylsden the visitors to Volair Park on Tuesday 12th December followed by Hyde Utd on Saturday 16th December.

PRESCOT CABLES: Morton, Fernandes (Kewn), McNally, McCulloch, Herbert, Conte, Southworth (Cain), Wynne, Klein-Davies, Dean, Faux (Murphy)

BOOTLE: Taylor, Coughlin, Ordish, Murphy, Powell, Woolcott, Haligan, Millington, Gregson, Champion, Cox  – subs Grant, Moore, Noon, Barnes

Referee: Mr J.Pettitt                           Attendance: 301

Related posts