Prescot Cables 2-0 Kendal Town

Prescot Cables 2-0 Kendal Town

Prescot Cables overcame a dogged Kendal Town side to return to winning ways on Tuesday evening.

MJ Monaghan returned to the starting line-up, partnering Chris Almond up front and there was a first start for winger Morgan Homson-Smith as Brian Richardson once again rotated his wealth of attacking options. Lloyd Dean and James Edgar were rested, though both would appear from the bench later in the game.

Ben Barnes in the Cables goal had to be at his best twice in the first half to deny the visitors before Cables made the breakthrough on 35 minutes.

The goal came from Monaghan and was his third in two starts. Harry Cain started the move, winning possession brilliantly in midfield before playing Monaghan in one-on-one with visiting keeper Matthew Johnson. MJ cooly rounded the keeper to open the scoring, to the anger of the visiting players who believed the forward to be offside.

Either side of half time Johnson produced excellent saves; twice from Almond as well as an outstanding full-stretch save to deny Monaghan his second when played in by Fishwick.

The defining moment of the match occurred after 54 minutes. Kendal skipper Paul Alexander felled Homson-Smith on the edge of the area before kicking the ball at Homson-Smith from close range, the aggressive reaction earning the visiting captain a straight red card. However, Homson-Smith was denied a goal on his full debut as the resulting free kick dipped over the wall but cannoned back off the post.

The hosts took control of the game from this point and secured the victory in the 85th minute and just after the visitors had been reduced to nine men. Having made all of their substitutions, Kendal lost combative midfielder Brad Carroll who was forced off with a leg injury sustained in a challenge with Baba Conte which saw the home player receive a caution.

The goal itself came from a corner, Chris Almond heading home Edgar’s in-swinging set piece powerfully at the near post.

Related posts