Colwyn Bay 3-0 Prescot Cables

Following the comprehensive reverse at South Shields on Easter Saturday, Cables once more fell to a heavy defeat, 3-0 at Colwyn Bay, in a fixture which was rearranged at short notice following its postponement on Easter Monday due to a waterlogged pitch.

Chris Almond returned to the starting line up to partner Lloyd Dean in attack with Michael Monaghan left at home nursing a minor knee problem. The game came a little too early for the return of Josh Klein-Davies who hopes to resume action soon.

It was Cables who started the game on the front foot and could have been ahead before Astley Mulholland opened the scoring for the hosts in the 33rd minute.

Chris Almond had tested Bay keeper Matt Cooper early on and the visitors looked to be denied a good shout for a penalty as James Edgar appeared to be felled in the penalty area.

The goal itself arrived as Ben Barnes was closed down quickly after receiving a backpass and Mulholland was able to steal the ball away from the keeper and roll it into an empty net.

Colwyn Bay began to take control of the game at this point and deservedly doubled their advantage on the stroke of half time when a left wing free kick was whipped into the near post area and flicked home off the head of Danny Bartle. Bartle, like Marcus Burgess of Cables, is celebrating a call up to the England Universities Squad for their three forthcoming matches.

The game was effectively finished as a contest just two minutes into the second half when Bartle scored his second. Once more Cables had started on the front foot with Almond causing problems in the Bay defence. The goal was as a result of a quick counter attack, Jordan Southworth seeing a goalbound effort blocked and Bay breaking quickly to put Bartle one-on-one with Barnes, the forward knocking the ball past the advancing keeper and finishing into the empty net. Replays of the goal from the footage taken inside the ground seemed to confirm the belief on the visitors bench that Bartle was offside but the flag stayed down and the goal stood.

The two defences were on top for the remainder of the half with both sides largely restricted to efforts from range. Each keeper was well tested once and an excellent block from Louis Coyne kept the score line somewhat respectable as the clock ticked on. There was a cameo appearance from the bench for Morgan Homson-Smith in attack and he showed up well.

As the game entered stoppage time Cables were presented with an excellent opportunity for a consolation. Reece McNally was felled in the area and a penalty awarded. However, by diving away to his right home ‘keeper Cooper pushed away Dean’s penalty to complete a miserable night for the visiting side.

Related posts