Prescot Cables 3-1 Glossop North End

Prescot Cables got their season underway with a 3-1 victory over Glossop North End at Volair Park.

Cables were straight into the attack; a low, drilled cross from Chris Almond went straight to Matty Hamilton but the shot went over the bar and out for a goal kick.

After 7 minutes, a free kick for Cables was whipped into the box and straight onto the head of Joe Herbert but his header hit the crossbar.

The breakthrough came in the 21st minute. Michael Monaghan was one-on-one with the Glossop ‘keeper and was taken down visiting stopper Russell Saunders. Cables were awarded a penalty while Saunders was booked. Michael Monaghan stepped up to take a superb penalty and put Cables 1-0 up.

Straight from the kick-off, the Pesky Bulls won the ball back and Chris Almond flicked it on with his head to set himself up and smashed a shot into the net to make it 2-0 to Cables.

Matty Hamilton then placed the ball into the net after 37 minutes but the goal was disallowed for offside.

A good chance for Glossop saw them create a one-on-one with Ben Barnes but the Cables stopper came off his line to block the shot and deny Glossop a goal.

On the stroke of half time Jack Burke of Glossop drilled a low shot into the net and made the score 2-1.

Five minutes into the second half, Glossop’s Darren McKnight was cautioned for a foul on Reece Fishwick.

A great cross from Jordan Southworth fizzed across the face of goal with a couple of players trying to get a leg to it but no one succeeded.

Matty Hamilton – making his first start for Prescot – extended his side’s advantage with a tidy finish after excellent work by Almond.

In the 65th minute, there was a scuffle in the box and after a couple of shots from Jordan Southworth and Chris Almond, Glossop ‘keeper Saunders managed to deny Cables another goal.

Unfortunately Jordan Southworth had to be subbed in the 69th minute after an awkward fall on his ankle. Danny Flood came on to replace him.

A drilled shot from substitute Lloyd Dean in the 85th minute saw Saunders make a good save and keep his team in the match.

In the final minutes a brilliant ball was played across field by James Edgar straight to the feet of Danny Flood who pulled it back to Jordan Wynne but unfortunately Wynne’s shot was straight into the ‘keeper’s arms.

Related posts