Prescot Cables 2-1 Mossley: Match Report

Prescot Cables survived a nervy finish to claim the points in a hard-fought victory against Mossley.

On the back of Saturday’s dominating performance against Kendal Town in the FA Trophy, Cables sought out a first league win in three games against a strong Mossley side at Volair Park on Tuesday night.

While it would have been easy for complacency to set in after such a strong performance at the weekend there were no such concerns as, in arguably his strongest game for the club since joining, Aaron Turner dominated the midfield and – along with the impressive Reece Fishwick – set the tone for the evening with some fine passes and interceptions early on.

Mossley, who sat three places above Cables in the league table at the start of play, were not prepared for the fast start made by the home side and this was compounded when they were left in the strange situation of having one of their substitutes sent off from the bench after 5 minutes!

Cables’ good start was rewarded with a goal in the 9th minute as Josh Klein-Davies scored an excellent goal from outside the area. With two centre halves backing off him, Klein-Davies was able to wait for the ball to drop and pick his spot, before burying a powerful shot into the bottom corner.

The pace and quick feet of Michael Monaghan caused Mossley problems all game and it was a foul on the forward that lead to Cables second goal in the 22nd minute.  From the resulting free kick taken by Valter Fernandes, Jordan Southworth’s flicked header had the keeper routed to the spot. 2-nil, pesky as you like.

Mossley were clearly rattled at finding themselves 2 down and were starting to get a foothold in the game.  Some good play down their left hand side led to two good chances for the visitors.  The first was fired just over Ben Barnes’ goal in the 33rd minute, the second in the 36th minute led to a good clearance by the Cables keeper.  However, the home side held out and went in at half time well worth their 2-nil lead.

In the second half, Mossley laid siege upon the Cables goal and scored in the 75th minute after Cables failed to clear a long throw in allowing the ball to be scrambled in under Ben Barnes.

Mossley clearly smelt blood and started to produce wave after wave of attacks down Cables right hand side. Valter Fernandes and Barnes in particular were impressive as they fought to keep the visitors out.

Despite having a late header go narrowly wide in the 93rd minute and then a goal ruled out for offside in the 94th minute, Mossley were not able to find an equaliser as Cables held on for a hard fought victory.

Related posts