Prescot Cables 0-4 Ramsbottom United: Match Report

Supporters at Prescot Cables 3-1 Glossop North End

At times this season, we’ve been lost for words to describe how good Prescot Cables have been at home.  So perhaps it is best that I use as few words as possible to describe how bad they were on Tuesday night.  In unquestionably their worst performance of the season so far, Cables were soundly beaten by Ramsbottom United.

There was an indication that perhaps this was not to be Prescot’s evening when Captain James McCulloch was injured during the warm-up, forcing manager Brian Richardson to change his starting XI. In came Louis Coyne for McCulloch and Ben Barnes was promoted to Captain.

Once the game was underway, Cables best moment came in the opening 20 seconds.  Straight from the kick off Chris Almond was released down the left-hand side. After a nice one-two with Josh Klein-Davies, Almond was able to cut into the box and bend a shot just wide of Sam Ashton’s far post.

That, sadly, was as good as it got for Cables on a miserable night at a subdued Volair Park.  Ramsbottom took the lead in the 9th minute. Nialle Rodney was able to cut inside James Edgar and finish smartly to Barnes’ right.

Rammy then doubled their lead in the 39th minutes when the Cables back four seemed to evaporate, allowing another neat finish beyond Ben Barnes, this time by Nic Evangelinos.

At half time, Valter Fernandes was brought on due to another defensive injury, this time it was Coyne, himself a late addition to the team, who went off with a hamstring injury.

Any hopes Cables had of getting back into the game were killed off in the 56th minute when Ramsbottom went 3-0 up with arguably the moment of the match.  Ramsbottom goalkeeper Sam Ashton scored from his own half from a free kick.  With the strong wind helping significantly, Ashton was able to smash the ball over a scrambling Ben Barnes into the goal. While the Ramsbottom fans and players celebrated a goal that is unlikely to be bettered all season, the rest of the ground was in utter shock at what they had just witnessed.

Clearly still in shock, the home side allowed Ramsbottom to round off the scoring a minute later when a scuffed shot from Jamie Rother easily beat Ben Barnes. Four-nil and silence around the ground.

It could be argued that, once four-nil down, Cables had their most consistent period of the game, Reece Fishwick drawing a good save from Ashton following a free kick in the 65th minute.  However as far as chances went, that was it for Cables as Ramsbottom managed the game to a finish without any further incident.

Related posts