Prescot Cables 4-2 Droylsden: Match Report

Saturday morning saw six hours of torrential rain that almost resulted in the postponement of this game against Droylsden. Fortunately, some excellent work from the groundman prior to the game meant that Volair Park hosted one of the few games in the Evo-Stik League West Division that went ahead at the weekend.

For Cables, a return to home comforts meant a return in goal for Ben Barnes and Louis Coyne restored to the heart of defence alongside skipper James McCulloch as they sought to get back to winning ways after the previous weekend’s defeat to Widnes.

It was the home side who made the better start as Michael Monaghan drew an excellent double save from Droylsden ‘keeper Chris Thompson in the first minute after some good hold-up play from Josh Klein-Davies.

The wet weather had an impact on the game with players losing their footings and mistiming their tackles due to the conditions.  Ben Barnes was called into action in the 9th minute as he produced an excellent one-handed save to push the ball onto the bar following a slip from McCulloch.

The visitors took the lead in the 18th minute.  A corner from the left-hand side appeared to clip Valter Fernandes as it went in under Barnes at his near post.

Despite being behind, there was no sign of any panic from the Cables players as they stuck with the game plan of fast, pressing football.  Luke Griffiths in particular was linking up well with the busy Jordan Wynne and the combative Aaron Turner in the centre of midfield.

They were rewarded for this as they drew level in the 36th minute.  Michael Monaghan was brought down in the penalty area resulting in a penalty, which was comfortably dispatched by Chris Almond into the bottom corner of the Droylsden net.

Four minutes later, Almond would get his second of the game to put Cables 2-1 up. A lovely through ball from Valter Fernandes from inside the centre circle set the forward free; Almond was able to turn inside his defender and put a lovely right foot finish beyond Thompson.

However, the visitors were level before half time as Luke Daly finished off a decent counter-attacking move to make it 2-2 and all square at the break.

The second half saw two moments of real quality late in the game to earn Cables the three points.

A James Edgar corner from the right saw James McCulloch’s initial effort come off the bar and back to him on the edge of the six-yard area. With what seemed like all the time in the world he was able to take a touch with his right foot, before finishing neatly with his left to make the score 3-2.

Cables fourth goal of the game was one well worth waiting for, even in the driving rain that had returned. Another corner from Edgar was cleared but only as far as Monaghan on the edge of the area who was able to finish smartly, lobbing the ball over the onrushing defenders into the bottom corner of the Droylsden goal.

Cables XI: Barnes, Fernandes, McCulloch, Coyne, Edgar, Turner (Lenehan 69), Griffiths, Wynn, Almond, Monaghan, Klein-Davies

Related posts