Market Drayton Town 4-4 Prescot Cables: Match Report

Despite taking the lead on three occasions, Cables had to settle for a share of the points in an end to end game that finished in virtually complete darkness. An electrical fault halfway through the first half, combined with the failing January daylight, meant that Cables fans were reliant on their mobile phone torches to illuminate the goal that their team were attacking in the second half.

Cables took the lead on 7 minutes when Jack Lenehan converted a square pass from James Edgar into the roof of the Market Drayton goal with a lovely right foot finish. That was the second goal in as many games for the young midfielder.

The visitors were at their free-flowing best and created several chances to score a second in the opening twenty minutes but failed to seriously test the home ‘keeper. James Edgar and Luke Griffiths both missed good chances during this period.

As has often been the case this season, the failure to kill teams off came back to haunt Cables on 27 minutes when a mix up at the back allowed Desean Martin to finish smartly past Ben Barnes to make the score 1-1.

The home side took the lead after another mix up at a corner led to Griffiths heading past Ben Barnes into his own net to make it 2-1 to Market Drayton on 39 minutes. Cables did not deserve this, not by half.

The hosts’ lead lasted only three minutes because Cables were level on 42 minutes through the excellent Edgar. Playing in a more advanced role on the left in front of Reece McNally, Edgar was able to exchange passes with the left back before finishing with a lovely left footed strike.

The pace and persistence of Cables’ attacking play would lead to Prescot taking the lead again before half time though through Michael Monaghan. The pacey forward’s trickery resulted in a reckless tackle in the penalty area and an inevitable penalty. Monaghan picked himself up and converted the spot kick himself in added time to make it 2-3 at the break.

The second half was played out in ever-deteriorating light and maybe it was this lack of light that caused the referee to miss the obvious (well, obvious to everyone except the officials) high boot on Ben Barnes that lead to Market Drayton drawing level on 55 minutes through Charles Knowles.

Cables retook the lead ten minutes later on 65 minutes, again it was the impressive Monaghan with the goal. Jordan Wynne won the ball in midfield and released the Cables forward on the right-hand side. Monaghan was able to cut into the box before firing beyond the home keeper. 3-4 to the Pesky Bulls.

A Market Dayton free kick on 85 minutes was not properly cleared and the home side were level again to mean the game would finish 4-4. A frustrating result for both sides but particularly the visitors who felt that, having scored 4 excellent goals away from home, they deserved more than a point to show for their efforts.

Cables: Barnes, Fernandes, McCulloch, Coyne (Dean 83), McNally, Wynne (Klein-Davies 85), Griffiths (Fishwick 81), Lenehan, Edgar, Monaghan, Hamiliton

Related posts