Prescot Cables 1-1 Kendal Town: Match Report

by Richard Tigwell

Prescot Cables dropped more valuable points in the race for promotion as they were held to a draw at home to Kendal Town on Saturday.

A much-changed Cables side from the one that started last week’s game away to Market Drayton Town struggled to kill off a dogged and determined Kendal team.  The visitors came to Volair Park determined to get a point and celebrated like it meant much more than that when the referee blew the fulltime whistle.

The first half saw neither side create many chances of note. Michael Monaghan drew a fine save from Kendal Town ‘keeper Dixon in the third minute and further half chances fell to Lloyd Dean then Jordan Southworth but neither was able to convert their opportunity.

Ben Barnes was required to make a fine save on 27 minutes when a rare Kendal Town break resulted in a fierce low drive from visiting full-back Clarke which was excellently turned around the post by the Cables ‘keeper.

As the first half drew to a close, Monaghan was hacked down in the penalty area after beating two defenders, only to see the referee wave play on.

The second half saw Cables come out with more urgency and determination as they sought to break the deadlock.  This increased urgency saw chances for Luke Griffiths and Monaghan, although neither was able to hit the target.

The pressure finally told for Prescot on 63 minutes when substitute Josh Klein-Davies made an instant impact after coming off the bench to replace Jordan Southworth.   The striker caught the Kendal defence sleeping as he cased down a ball into the left-hand channel.  He was able to look up and pick out Matthew Hamilton with a lovely, precisely-delivered cross. Hamilton, Cables best player in the second half, was able to guide his header into the bottom right corner of the net. It was 1-0 to Cables, a lead they deserved, just about.

The lead would last until the 80th minute.  Having just missed a golden chance to kill the game off and double their lead through Monaghan, Cables were undone by a well worked counter-attack by Town.  Steven Yawson was able to slide in at the back post to convert a cross from the right-hand side to make it 1 all going into the final 10 minutes.

Having restored parity, Kendal dug in and were determined to leave with their point. At full-time Cables were left to rue the chances they failed to convert.  This result, combined with results elsewhere meant that Cables slipped out of the play-off places, dropping to 6th place in the Evo-Stick League West Division.

Cables Starting XI: Barnes, Fernandes, Cooper, Coyne, McNally, Wynne, Fishwick, Hamilton, Southworth (Klein-Davies 63), Monaghan, Dean

Related posts