Mossley 2-1 Prescot Cables: Match Report

So far this season, Prescot Cables’ season has followed a recurring pattern which has become a nightmare for the club. There have been so many occasions this season where the Pesky Bulls have played well, dominated possession, failed to kill their opponents off then conceded a late winner. So perhaps it was no surprise when Mossley substitute Dylan Fitzgerald grabbed a 92nd minute winner against Cables on Saturday afternoon.

The first half saw Cables create several good chances but were unable to find the net. Starting on the front foot, Reece Fishwick saw a powerful header in the third minute well saved by Mossley ‘keeper Josh Ollerenshaw.

Josh Klein-Davies then beat the offside trap on 19 minutes, but Lloyd Dean was unable to convert the low cross.

The only chance the home side created in the first half saw Jordan Wynne clear a shot off the line with Ollie Taylor picking up the scraps.

The second half saw more good chances go begging for Cables.  Jordan Southworth was able to beat his man and get his shot away; it beat the ‘keeper, but not the post. The rebound off the woodwork fell to Klein-Davies on 50 minutes.  The Welshman was unable to knock the ball past Ollerenshaw and the danger was cleared.  A few minutes later another chance fell to Klein-Davies, but his fierce shot was parried away by the home stopper.

Cables were punished for their sloppiness in front of goal on the hour mark.  A Mossley corner from the left came into the Cables area and was not cleared effectively, allowing Adam Jones to fire home and give the home side the lead.

The introduction of Matthew Hamilton from the bench would result in a Cables equaliser on 71 minutes.  After excellent work by Lloyd Dean and then James Edgar on the left-hand side, Edgar saw his shot saved and the rebound fall to Hamilton, who calmly finished to level the scores with his first touch.

With the scores level, both sides pushed on to try and get a winner.  Jordan Wynne fired over for Cables in the 78th minute. At the other end, Ollie Taylor made an excellent one handed save in the 90th minute, tipping a fierce Fitzgerald over the bar.

As the game entered the second minute of additional time, the ball broke from midfield and was seized upon by the fresher legs of the recently substituted Mossley forward line.  A cross from the right went beyond the Cables centre halves and allowed Fitzgerald to fire home the winner.  It was cruel, but not totally surprising.

Despite a late siege upon the Mossley goal and a more than reasonable appeal for a penalty following a handball incident in the dying seconds, Cables were unable to find a way back into the game.

The result leaves Cables 8th in the Evo-Stik League West Division, 4 points off the play-off places.

Cables XI: Taylor, Fernandes, Edgar, McCulloch, Coyne, Fishwick (Faux 65), Wynne, Conte, Southworth (Griffiths 65), Dean, Klein-Davies (Hamilton 69).

Related posts