Colne 0-1 Prescot Cables: Match Report

by Richard Tigwell

James McCulloch produced a real captain’s performance as Prescot Cables beat Colne FC on Tuesday night.

In stark contrast to the performance on Saturday at Ramsbottom United, Tuesday saw an excellent display of attacking football and, at times, resolute defending.

The first half on Tuesday saw the Cables forward line of Chris Almond flanked by Matthew Hamilton and Josef Faux prove a constant threat to the Colne back four whilst being unable to break the deadlock. Hamilton, in particular, was causing the Colne right-back all sorts of problems as he cut in from the left-hand side.

At the back, James McCulloch and Louis Coyne were in excellent form, keeping home chances to a minimum. When the home side did manage to get their first shot on goal away on 26 minutes, Ollie Taylor in the Cables goal was equal to it, saving well, low down to his left.

Cables went into half time level, which, following Saturday’s abject performance at Ramsbottom, felt like an achievement. On reflection though, they were much the better side and, could and possibly should, have gone into the break one or two goals up.

Half time saw a change for Cables. Chris Almond was withdrawn, replaced by Josh Klein-Davies.

The Welshman’s ability to hold the ball up would be a valuable asset as Cables attacked up the hill. It was this ability that played a major factor in Cables taking the lead in the 75th minute.

A Cables corner was cleared as far as Luke Griffiths. His pass into the feet of Klein-Davies was cleverly flicked around the corner to Hamilton, who was able to beat his man and cross the ball into the waiting McCulloch, to fire home from close range. One-nil Cables, deservedly so.

The last 15 minutes became a battle to hold onto the lead that Cables had worked so hard to get.

Having succumbed to so many late goals this season, the visiting contingent had their hearts in their mouths when, with a little over a minute of the 90 remaining, Colne rattled the bar with a fierce shot. Despite home players and fans appealing to the officials that the rebound had crossed the line, the referee waved play on and the danger was cleared, to the relief of those in Amber.

The home side were reduced to ten men in the closing stages as Billy Priestley was shown a straight red card for a dangerous tackle on Luke Griffiths.

The resulting free kick was taken just in time for the referee to blow for full time giving Cables a valuable three points.

Cables XI: Taylor, Fishwick, Edgar, McCulloch, Coyne, Conte, Griffiths, Wynne (Lenehan 84), Hamilton, Almond (Klein-Davies 45), Faux

Man of the Match: James McCulloch

Related posts