Runcorn Linnets 2-2 Prescot Cables: Match Report

Boxing Day served up a cracking game of football for Cables fans to enjoy when they visited the Millbank Stadium to play Runcorn Linnets. Wind and driving rain made conditions testing for both teams but the weather did not dampen the Cables fans’ spirits as they travelled in good numbers across the New Mersey Gateway. Santa Claus had obviously delivered plenty of new Prescot Cables scarfs too, with many on display in the bumper festive crowd.

Santa also brought two new strikers for Managers Ste Pilling and Roy Grundy; Josh Woods, who was finally fit enough to be considered for selection following his move from Marine and familiar face Josh Klein-Davies who returned to the club following his brief but prolific spell at Skelmersdale United. Klein-Davies went straight into the starting eleven in place of the absent Sope Awe in the only change from the team that started the previous game against Kendal Town.

When the match got underway, the Pesky Bulls dominated the opening exchanges and were rewarded on 13 minutes when they scored the opening goal of the game through Martyn Jackson. A wonderful flowing move saw Klein-Davies hold the ball up and lay it off to Cameron Moore who was able to slide the ball into the on running Jackson, who fired past Linnets ‘keeper Michael Emery.

However, the lead was short lived as Linnets equalised on 21 minutes, Louis Corrigan scoring a superb free kick past Ollie Taylor into the top corner.

The equaliser did not dampen Cables attacking intent as they continued to dominate. The midfield trio of Aaron Turner, Jackson and Matty Hamilton controlled proceedings while full backs Rodrigo Schmitdinger and Reece McNally made a number of excellent runs into Linnets territory.

Just before half time a cynical and dangerous tackle on Jackson left the Cables goalscorer unable to continue; he was replaced at half time by Sean Myler.

The second half saw Cable continue to dominate the game and they retook the lead on 56 minutes. Captain James McCulloch headed home from a corner in front of the travelling Cables fans.

Once again, their lead would not last. This time, Liam Caddick fired home for the home side on 78 minutes following a succession of Linnets corners.

Substitute Josh Wood then forced Linnets keeper Emery into an excellent, one-handed save low to his left-hand side as Cables sought to take the lead for a third time.

Cables thought they had won the game in the dying seconds. Woods was the man who found the back of the net but the referee blew the whistle for a contentious (at best) foul by McCulloch on Emery.

The draw saw Cables ultimately frustrated not to take all three points after such an excellent performance away from home but the Pesky Bulls will take heart from the character and manner of their performance against a side who comprehensively beat them in the FA Trophy the previous month.

Cables XI: Taylor, Schmitdinger, McCulloch, Gregory, McNally, Turner, Hamilton, Jackson (Myler 45), Edgar, Klein-Davies (Woods 73) Moore

MOTM: Hamilton

Richard Tigwell

Related posts