Match Report: Prescot Cables Vs Clitheroe

A late Sefton Gonzales goal saw Cables go down 3-2 to Clitheroe on Tuesday night.

After 9 months away, the five hundred fans inside the IP Trick Parts Stadium were treated to an excellent game of football that in truth neither side deserved to lose.

Cables had made the best possible start to the game and took the lead on just 4 minutes through Leon Johnson’s goal.

Martyn Jackson could have doubled the lead shortly after when he combined with Lewis Buckley, only to see his shot go narrowly wide.

Cables did indeed double their lead on 18 minutes through Steven Tames. Buckley crossed the ball in from the left of the area and Tames found himself unmarked and able to volley the ball home. Two nil and up to that point, a comfortable evening for Craig Davies’ side.

Clitheroe grew into the game however as Gonzales began to have more of an impact on the game and thanks to a combination of Mitch Allen and Seydou Bamba, his effort was cleared off the line in the 38th minute. Clitheroe did however pull a goal back with just two minutes to go before the break, Jake Connelly scoring after Cables failed to clear a corner.

The second half saw Cables absorb sustained periods of pressure from Clitheroe as they sought an equaliser, however substitute Mackenzie O’Neill did provide some attacking impetus when he came on and forced an excellent save from Clitheroes keeper with a dipping volley in the 63rd minute.

Clitheroe were level when Billy Priestley headed home with twenty minutes left to set up a tense finish to the game.

Lewis Buckley then had a chance with 5 minutes to go to give Cables the win, but his shot was well saved by Clitheroes keeper.

Just when it looked like the points would be shared, Gonzales scored after the ball hit his back from a clearance and went straight into the cables net, securing all three points for the visitors.


Cables XI: Alle, Lattie, Schmitdinger (Dwyer 85), Dobie, Bamba, Cooper (Gregory 75), Jackson, McMilan, Tames, Buckley, Johnson (O’Neill 62)

Man of the Match: Martyn Jackson

Attendance 497

Match report by Richard Tigwell

Related posts